- 1 onion, peeled and grated
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, grated
- 2 eggs
- 2 sprigs rosemary, stripped and minced
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for frying (I use half olive oil and half canola)
- Silan (Israeli date syrup) for serving
Grate onion and sweet potatoes on a box grated or food processor with grater attachment. Squeeze out all the liquid by wrapping up in a kitchen towel or squeezing through a nut milk bag. Once dry place back in the bowl. Combine all remaining ingredients (besides for oil) and mix well.
Heat a thin layer of oil in a large pan on medium-high heat. Set aside a plate lined with paper towel to land the latkes on after frying.
Using an ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup measuring cup fry place mounts of the mixture in the oil and press down slightly to flatten with a spatula. Fry in oil until edges become golden. Flip and fry other side until cooked through and crisp. Remove from pan to paper towel lined plate. Continue frying the rest adding more oil when needed. Serve latkes hot and fresh topped with silan.